This is a quote from Annie Dillard and it really speaks to me on the first day of the new year.
Are our days rushed, stressed and unfulfilled?
Or are we able to breathe and enjoy our days?
The negative moments in our lives are just a moment, but strung together, they are our lives.
There are many days that I still can’t believe that I’m a parent. I keep thinking that one day I will actually feel like a parent and will know and understand what that feeling is, but it may end up that I’ll be lying on my death bed and finally realize that I was a parent this whole time.
So what does that mean?
- It means making conscious decisions about parenting.
- It means deciding that we will all eat together at least once per week.
- It means that there will be no devices at the table.
- It means that I will take a deep breath in front of my children as they are losing it and I’m about to lose it as well.
- It means that the majority of my interactions with my children will be positive. So if I find that I have three snippety utterances, then the next nine things I say will have to be positive!
- It means that I will be clear about my expectations with my children rather than assuming that they know what I am asking of them.
Because the way that I parent today is the parent that I am.
Seriously, I still don’t feel like a parent. What does that truly feel like?
If you want your 2014 to be calmer, your children to listen better, your family to be more connected, contact me today and we will get you started on a parenting plan. The initial consultation is free